Your IWU student is headed home for the semester, What now?
We are all experiencing something that we never thought possible. Indiana Wesleyan University has worked as hard as they can to minimize the disruption to our student’s university education but circumstances have left us with few choices.
Even so, we want you to be aware that we are still here to support your students and to make this academic year successful for all. Here are a few thoughts as we consider the next few weeks/months.
Before they leave:
- Clean your Residence Hall Room. Please have your student take the time to clean up their residence hall room. Residence Life will provide check-lists at each hall and will work with your student to get them “checked-out”. While we want to get everyone safely on their way, we want to make sure that on the “other side” of all of this, the residence halls are ready for your students to return to their “home away from home”.
When they arrive home:
- Check your WiFi access. Your student will be needing consistent, reliable WiFi signal. If this is an issue, there are a few internet companies that are offering their services free for the next 60 days. Here are the links for that information. Comcast (Comcast free and reduced cost internet) and Charter/Spectrum (Charter and Spectrum free internet for 60 days).
- Connect with other students. Just because classes can’t meet in person does not mean that your student can’t connect. Encourage your students to reach out to a few classmates. They can meet up on Facetime or group chats on social media. Set up a text group chat. They can create quizzes through Quizlet and test each other’s knowledge.
- Stay up-to-date on Organizations and Clubs. Make sure that your student has the contact information for leaders in their clubs and organizations. Some groups may choose to connect online or over the phone in the coming weeks. Your student will want not want to miss the opportunity to stay connected.
- Check out the Library. Your student has access to many resources online through our Jackson Library. The Jackson Library provides online access to over 350,000 e-books that are accessible online 24 hours a day/seven days a week. In addition, the databases are also available online 24 hours a day/seven days a week.
- Take advantage of this opportunity. Encourage your student to take advantage of this time that they have at home. They can work on their resume. They can research summer jobs or internships in their chosen field. Read a book that they have been hoping to read but just didn’t have the time. Pick up an instrument that they haven’t touched since high school and try it out.
- Support and love on your student. This may look different for every student. Some may need comfort due to the loss of so much of their senior year. Some may need time alone. Some may need to just sleep. Some might need a movie marathon.
“Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.” Joshua 1:9 reminds us that while we are in difficult days, God has promised to be with us. This semester will look different but it doesn’t mean that it is wasted! God has this and will walk with us through it!
Indiana Wesleyan University is a great community and will continue to be, even if it is from a distance!
If I can be of assistance, please feel free to contact me at Krista.firstname.lastname@example.org or 765-677-2113